The original High Knob fire tower was a
14 foot by 14 foot wooden house built in 1938-39 by the Civilian Conservation
Corps. The picture to the left shows this small tower in the 1950s.
The High Knob Enhancement Corporation and the USDA Forest
Service - George Washington and Jefferson National Forests have entered
into a Memorandum of Understanding which establishes in general terms
the co-operative relationship of the two groups as they work collaboratively
on initiatives that mutually benefit their mission and objectives including
the development and rebuilding of the High Knob Observation Tower and
associated facilities and projects.